Saturday, June 14, 2008

brandon jones...arrested

brandon jones

Tennessee Titans wide receiver Brandon Jones on Friday was arrested and issued a citation for attempting to carry a loaded handgun through an airport security checkpoint, according to The Tennessean.

Nashville International Airport spokesperson Mary Margaret Miller told the newspaper the gun was loaded with seven rounds, but none were in the chamber.

Jones was arrested at 11:40 a.m. local time. He was charged with unlawful possession of a firearm - a misdemeanor - and released.

In a statement released through his agent, Craig Domann, Jones apologized for any embarrassment the incident may have caused the Titans organization and his family.

"Obviously I did not know I was carrying my gun," Jones said. "This morning, I grabbed a bag and placed my clothing in the bag, then rushed to the airport. I had forgotten that the last time I had used the bag was when I went target shooting."

Jones, 25, noted that he cooperated with authorities and has a permit authorizing him to carry a gun.

"Realizing that I was not intentionally carrying the handgun nor did I have any intention of harming anyone, I was allowed to board my airplane and continue my travels," Jones said. "I want to apologize for any embarrassment this might cause my family, the Titans organization or my teammates."

A third-round pick of Tennessee in 2005, Jones has 71 interceptions for 931 yards and eight touchdowns in his three seasons with the club.

No comments: